Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Let Nothing You Dismay!!

As part of our choir Christmas program this year, the men sang the first verse of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.”  During the dress rehearsal (which turned into a wonderful worship venue for me) the words “let nothing you dismay” reverberated within my heart in a particularly powerful way.  It’s really just a different way of saying “take courage,” or “fear not,” but I think God wanted to impress the message upon me with greater clarity.
I’m reminded of Joshua, who was commanded by God not to fear or be dismayed.  He certainly had plenty of opportunity to question God and God’s ways, but in faith he forged ahead through all kinds of challenging scenarios.  And God did not leave him hanging – victories were won, precarious situations were always resolved so that God was shown as both powerful and loving.  The Bible contains seventeen verses that specifically tell me to not be dismayed.  All of them follow that command with the reminder that God is with me.
Once again, another old hymn comes to mind.  “Be not dismayed whate’er betide, God will take care of you.  Within His arms of love abide.  God will take care of you.”
God is speaking to me and addressing my heart issues.  Satan wants me to find new reasons for discouragement all the time, and I am often an easy target.  Because Jesus has come into the world, there is no reason for dismay, or fear, or discouragement, or even disappointment.  It truly IS all good.
Lord, help me to remember your commandment: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”  (Joshua 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment