Thursday, March 17, 2011

Embracing the Cloud

I recently read a Streams in the Desert devotional that really got me thinking.  The gist of the message was this: The clouds in your life are the best places to meet God.  So I spent some time looking up references to "cloud" in the Bible.  Here's a sampling:
.Exodus 13:21  And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night. 
Exodus 21:21 Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
 1 Kings 8:11  So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.
Matthew 17: 5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Revelation 1:7 Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him.

I have quite a few clouds looming overhead right now.  Our grandson is on a transplant list waiting for a liver.  One son is separated from his wife.  Another son is facing a difficult custody battle.  I have several friends who are facing serious medical issues.  Another friend is out of work.  Dark clouds, and lots of them.
 
The Bible tells us that we cannot look at God's glory, in part because it is so radiant.  Remember that Moses' face shone after his time with God on the mountain.  The throne of God is radiant with glory, and surrounded by clouds.  God knows that our human eyes cannot bear the full light of His glory, so He gives us a way to know He is there - through the clouds!

If I just approach the clouds and storms in confidence and faith, I know I will meet God there.  The clouds are not obscuring Him or keeping me from Him.... they are the path to meet Him more intimately.  My God is in the clouds!!
Psalm 97:2
Clouds and darkness are round about him: righteousness and judgment are the habitation of his throne.

2 comments:

  1. Then I am must be getting very intimate...it has been a very cloudy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say most assuredly that God is preparing you for something wondrous... dare I say, even glorious! Rest in Him, my dear friend. I can see Him working in you, and we know He is working FOR you.

    ReplyDelete